Wednesday 17 May 2023

Buzzzzy springtimes again

Spring.... or summer already? The weather changed beginning of May, we got finally warmth and sun. Suddenly we had summertime and we touched even more then 20 degrees. In only three days later all the trees got green again! It was also the sign for the start of the busiest time of the season, like always for a gardener. Now, all jobs needs to been done at the same time. 

Before I kept all the small plants inside because it was still frosty at night until then. So I forwarded most jobs around the young plants till half May. I put out the toughest seedlings on the veranda, so they had some shelter but still could adapt a little to outside climate at the same time.

I only took the risk with planting outside some climbing Ipomea's in full ground (because I would have visitors and no time for planting next week). I wanted them to grow already so they would have some body beginning of June. But I was punished for that, too quick. All 40 died. I need to sow them again, this time directly outside. By the time they will start to grow, about a day or 10, I expect the temperatuur will be above zero. 

At the same time I'm so happy I've been trying to fix all other possible jobs what needs to be done (as far as possible) before opening the garden beginning of June again. We started already in April to make an extra fence of chicken wire around the total garden, to protect the plants against the hares. Last year it was a tragedy. All my Salvia's Verticilata, Papavers, the small fresh sowed Lathyrus plants, the big Campanula's (Stor Blåklocka) and some other in the total garden were eaten off each time they tried to get up a little. The hares were like an unwelcome grass machine in the total garden. The worst of all was the Clematis, which I was so proud on because it grew perfectly in Spring, two meters high already. It was cut off at the bottom and didn't recover that year. 

We have also been busy starting up the robot called Herman. Every year a surprise if it's working. Mostly not. Because the line is broken somewhere around in the garden. So you have to check all the lines, which is quit a lot in our garden. The easiest way is to take some hours or an afternoon without stress. The good news is we managed it again, "Herman" is running around again. So we only have to cut the outside parts by hand right now once a week. 

The weeds are starting to grow too, so now I need to weed the whole garden, for not getting behind. That will only take more time. Mean while I'm fixing small plants for selling by getting cuttings and moving the seedlings form the plugg trays to a bigger pot. Some parts in the garden need also a reshuffle. Extra handicap is the sudden warmth, not very suited to replant or move plants. Beside of that I have to water all the plants (special for them in baskets) to keep them growing.

By the way, some planting pots are already filled up for the season. Maybe it is a little too early but I just cannot do all in the last days before opening. I'll have to bake some cakes, fix some chairs and announce the garden on the socials. So if you don't mind, I'm out in the garden again...


Not only summer weather by the way 😏







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.