
Grandma's plants
A long time ago there lived a lady in our house. After it was a school, she came in and lived there for nearly 60 years. She was very fond of plants too, like me. After she left, the garden was not treated that well, it was totally overgrown. But sometimes, I still find small parts of this plants. I should really like to keep them. They get a chance to recover in my nursery!
That made me very conscious about old plants. Sometimes I recognize them from former days, the time my father learned me all about gardening. I learned me the Latin names of plants like they were just normal Dutch...
It would be very nice if I could keep the atmosphere around our house in the old style, like it was in the fifties. It was a special style of common flowers around a Småland house on the countryside in Sweden. I already found out a lot about them. Now it is only hope they will survive and to collect some more of them.
The most famous "old days" plants in Sweden were for example Honeysuckle (Lonicera), Bellflower (Campanula), Peony (Paeonia), Foxglove (Digitalis), (Aquilegia) and (Lysiamachia). They were often used in the countryside. A long time they were not trendy enough, but now they seem to have a coming back. In Sweden they call them gamla torp växter (old farm flowers) or Mormorsvaxter (Grandma's plants).



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.